Who Is The Best Joint Pain Doctor New York? A Harvard Doctor Weighs In
Pain doctors are leaders in the field of pain medicine and have an abundance of knowledge and experience to diagnose and treat pain conditions. Pain doctors are also known as pain management specialists and are experienced in using the latest techniques in regenerative medicine to provide you with conservative treatment options that avoid unnecessary surgeries. Pain specialists believe that it is important to combine a holistic approach to health care with the best minimally invasive treatments available to get you back to full health as soon as possible.
Nowadays, many orthopedic surgeons are quick to suggest risky and unnecessary surgeries. However, surgery is not always the best way to maximize health and involves many risks and complications. In addition to these risks, surgery often requires long-term pain medicine and the use of opioids. Opioid addiction is rife across the United States, and research demonstrates the negative health consequences associated with taking them.
If you have sports injuries, long-term pain or want to explore treatment options, consider visiting a board certified pain doctor. At the VIP Medical Group, our team of pain doctors are experts in providing the latest minimally invasive treatments that maximize health and minimize recovery periods and invasive surgeries. Let’s take a look at some of the best Ivy League pain doctors in New York City.
Dr. George Hanna
Dr. Hanna is a double board-certified pain specialist in New York. His areas of expertise include Pain Management and Anesthesiology. He received his training from the prestigious Harvard Medical School as well as Massachusetts General Hospital. In addition to these achievements, Dr Hanna served as Medical Director of Pain Management at Martha’s Vineyard Hospital. He was then appointed as Chairman of Anesthesiology and Pain Management at Chilton Medical Center. Dr Hanna is a native of NYC and has a compassionate approach towards his patients. He uses the most advanced procedures to treat pain, specifically pain that is affecting the back, neck and joints.
Dr. Shane Volney
Dr. Volney is a double board-certified pain doctor who is an expert in Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine. He completed his anesthesiology residency at the prestigious Vanderbilt University Medical Center where he served as Chief Resident. He then worked as a Clinical Instructor at Harvard Medical School where he was involved in teaching Anesthesiology, Palliative Care and Pain Medicine. Dr Volney is passionate about all aspects that make up general well being and strives to improve the quality of life of his patients who struggle with pain complaints.
As well as Dr Hanna and Dr Volney, we have additional members of our outstanding team who are available for consultations in New York City: Dr Khimani and Dr Nguyen.
The Best Minimally Invasive Pain Treatments
If you’re struggling with shoulder, back, hip or knee pain, then our pain doctors can provide the best conservative treatments in New York City.
As we have discussed, surgery is risky and involves many medical complications. Some risks of surgery include: blood clots, wound infections, issues with anesthesia, and long recovery periods. Many orthopedic surgeons are quick to suggest surgery, but it is not an option that should be taken lightly.
Due to these risks, it is important to consider the best way to maximize health through the latest minimally invasive procedures. At the VIP Medical Group, we offer the best conservative treatments that minimize pain and maximize recovery whilst adhering to a holistic approach to health care. Before committing to surgery, consider booking an appointment with one of the best joint pain doctors new york at the VIP Medical Group. Let’s take a look at some of the latest treatments available:
- Viscosupplementation – a pain doctor injects lubricating fluid directly into the shoulder joint. This enables the cartilage on the end of bones to glide more freely over one another, minimizing friction and reducing subsequent inflammation.
- Steroid Injections – steroid injections are a popular treatment due to their ability to provide immediate pain relief and their quick application. This is when a pain doctor injects steroid medicine directly into the shoulder joint.
Back pain can be debilitating and can last weeks, months, and even years. If left untreated, back pain can get worse over time and lead to further health complications. That’s why it is important to consider some of the following back pain treatment options:
- Epidural Steroid Injections – this is when a pain doctor injects a mixture of a corticosteroid (anti-inflammatory drug) and anesthetic directly into the epidural space in the spine. It provides immediate pain relief which can last for long periods of time.
- Lumbar Facet Injection – just like the epidural steroid injections, lumbar facet injections are when a pain doctor injects a corticosteroid (anti-inflammatory drug) and local anesthetic along multiple areas of the spine. This provides immediate pain relief in many areas at once.
- Lumbar Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) – this is a steroid-free treatment option that is popular for patients struggling with chronic back pain. During this procedure, a pain doctor uses alternating current technology to apply heat to the pain. It tends to be a treatment choice for those who have already received lumbar facet injections and epidural steroid injections.
If you’re struggling with knee pain, then there are many minimally invasive treatments options available. Here are some examples:
- Cortisone or Steroid Injection – when anesthetic (numbing agent) and anti-inflammatory medicine are applied directly to the knee joint. This ensures immediate pain relief and can last for a good length of time.
- Genicular Nerve Block – this is when a pain doctor injects local anesthetic directly into the knee joint. This ensures that the nerves responsible for transmitting pain signals are numbed.
- Genicular Nerve Radio Frequency Ablation (RFA) – a pain doctor places heated needles at various points around the knee joint to stop nerves from transmitting pain. A local anesthetic is also used to ensure you are comfortable.
Why Should I See A Pain Doctor?
There are many medical causes underlying your joint pain. This can range from osteoarthritis and sports injuries, to more serious medical conditions. If left untreated, your joint pain could get worse over time and even lead to health complications. That’s why it is important to know why you are in pain and the best ways your pain can be treated.
As we have discussed throughout this article, it is important to consider minimally invasive treatment options as opposed to risky and unnecessary surgeries. Maximizing health and minimizing pain is at the heart of the VIP Medical Group, where world-class pain doctors use the latest advancements in regenerative medicine to help you.
When you visit one of our pain management specialists, you will be greeted by our friendly and experienced team. Our state of the art facilities are Centers of Excellence, and you will be rest assured that you are receiving the highest standards of medical care in New York City. Your pain doctor will take a medical history and may perform a physical examination of your area of pain. They may also run blood tests and request scans (such as X-Rays or ultrasound) to gain an overall picture of your joint pain. Once your pain doctor has established a diagnosis, they will recommend the best minimally invasive treatment option in conjunction with physical therapy to ensure you are on the road to recovery.
Most of all, the VIP Medical Group strives to ensure that patient-doctor relationships are at the heart of their professional work. Your pain doctor will look beyond the symptoms to ease your worries and concerns. If you’re looking for the best joint pain doctor new york, consider booking an appointment with our Ivy League team at the VIP Medical Group.