What’s The Best Severe Upper Back Pain Treatment?
If you’re struggling with severe upper back pain, then you aren’t alone. Back pain is one of the biggest reasons why Americans miss work, and at least half of all working Americans will suffer from back pain at some point. Back pain ranges from upper back pain, to chronic lower back pain. It can be a result of lifestyle (such as poor posture, sitting for long periods of time) traumatic injury, or indeed be a symptom of an underlying medical condition. Due to the various reasons you might struggle with severe upper back pain, it is recommended that you seek medical advice from a Board Certified pain doctor.
Pain doctors are experts in diagnosing and treating an array of pain conditions. They combine their extensive knowledge, skill and experience with the latest techniques in regenerative medicine to provide the best severe upper back pain treatments. Best of all, pain doctors avoid unnecessary surgeries and the long-term use of pain medicine, opioids and NSAIDs.
Nowadays, many orthopedic surgeons are quick to suggest surgical intervention and long-term pain medicine to target severe upper back pain. However, surgery is risky, has lengthy recovery periods and poses many health risks. Blood clots, wound infections, anesthesia problems and opioid use are just a few of the many risks of unnecessary back surgery. It is no secret that the U.S. is in the midst of an opioid epidemic, and health officials are warning against the dangers of unnecessary surgeries.
Pain doctors recognize that unnecessary surgery and pain medication can have risky side effects. That’s why they use the latest techniques in regenerative medicine to relieve back pain and to provide the best treatments for upper back pain. Best of all, they believe in maximizing health through minimally invasive techniques and boast high success rates. The best severe upper back pain treatment is therefore a conservative treatment choice.
The Best Severe Upper Back Pain Treatments
Now that we’ve looked at why it is important to receive medical advice from a Board Certified pain doctor, let’s look at the latest upper back pain treatments that avoid unnecessary and risky surgeries.
Back Pain Procedures:
- Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection – this is when a pain doctor injects steroid medicine directly into the inflamed nerve root in your back. Local anesthetic is also used to increase comfort levels.
- Lumbar Facet Joint Injection – this describes the way in which multiple needles are injected along the facet joints in the back using the assistance of an X-Ray machine. Local anesthetic is delivered directly to the joint nerves and provides instant pain relief.
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) – this is a great procedure which uses heat energy to directly target the nerve endings that are causing the back pain.
Shoulder Pain Procedures:
In addition to experiencing upper back pain, many patients feel their pain radiate to their shoulders. That’s why it is important to seek medical advice from a pain doctor who will provide a thorough assessment and will recommend conservative treatments that can target more than one area of pain at a time.
Shoulder pain complaints can be comorbid with severe upper back pain. Let’s take a look at some of the best shoulder pain procedures available that also avoid unnecessary surgery and maximize health.
- Viscosupplementation – this is when a pain doctor injects a lubricating fluid into the shoulder joint. Viscosupplementation enables the cartilage and bones to glide easily against one another which prevents joint friction and thereby reduces inflammation.
- Steroid Injections – a pain doctor can directly target areas of pain by injecting steroid medicine into the joint.
Severe Upper Back Pain Symptoms
Neck and back pain are common when struggling with severe upper back pain. Whilst symptoms can differ from person to person, the overall symptoms of upper back pain include:
- Sharp pain that starts in one location across the upper back. This can feel like an intense, knife-like pain.
- Aching and throbbing pain felt in the upper back. This can spread to the neck and shoulder.
- Stiffness if the general aching sensations do not go away. This can lead to reduced mobility and poor posture.
- Radiating pain that can travel from the thoracic spine into the arm, chest, stomach or lower in the body.
In particular, it is important to seek medical attention if:
- You have problems with walking/ balance
- You have a severe headache
- You have problems with breathing
- You are suffering from chills or a fever
- You have loss of bladder and bowel control
If you’re struggling with severe upper back pain, it is important to seek medical advice from a Board Certified pain doctor. They will find out why you’re in pain and how it can best be treated with the latest conservative techniques.
What Happens When I See A Pain Doctor?
If you’re looking for the best severe upper back pain treatments, then it is important to receive medical advice from a Board Certified pain doctor.
First, they will take a medical history from you and may perform a physical examination of your area of pain. Your pain doctor may also request blood tests and order scans (like X-Ray or ultrasound imaging) to gain a picture of your pain.
Once they have established why you’re in pain, they will recommend the best conservative treatment option that will directly target your pain using the latest minimally invasive techniques. In addition, your pain doctor will be able to provide lifestyle tips to help you, such as ways of ensuring you maintain good posture and modifications that can be made to ensure you are comfortable in your day to day life. This may involve recommendations of the best muscle relaxants in addition to a physical therapist who will work with you in conjunction with your prescribed pain procedure.
Pain doctors are on-hand to answer any concerns or worries that you may have regarding your upper back pain. They believe in the importance of maintaining healthy patient-doctor relationships and look beyond your symptoms. At the VIP Medical Group, we offer a more holistic approach to healthcare to ensure that you return to maximum health as soon as possible and without the risks associated with long-term pain medication and unnecessary surgeries. Our beautiful, state-of-the-art facilities are Centers of Excellence and welcome patients from around the world. You can rest assured that you are receiving exceptional levels of patient care and can relax in the knowledge that you are benefiting from the best conservative treatments available.