The human body consists of intricate systems that work in unison to keep you moving day by day. One of the systems is the vascular system. The vascular system comprises a vast network of veins that help carry blood from all organs to the heart. The veins in our legs and face have the most work to do as they are the furthest away from the heart. Veins on the legs have to pump blood against gravity, making their job even tougher.
To prevent blood from flowing back into the legs, veins have valves that close if blood tries to flow backward. But over time, some valves may weaken. When this happens, blood may get collected in the veins, straining against the walls of the veins. This is what causes vein diseases.
When do I need to see a vein specialist?
As we grow older, it is normal to have a few spider veins and varicose veins scattered here and there. Spider and varicose veins are usually harmless and painless. But if they occur alongside other symptoms, it may be a sign that you need vein treatment and need to see a vein doctor. Some of the signs you need to see a vein specialist are:
- The spider and varicose veins cover a significant portion of your body: In small amounts, spider and varicose veins are usually just a sign of aging. But if more than 20% of your legs are covered in spider and varicose veins, it could be a sign of some underlying condition.
- You are experiencing heaviness or aching in the legs: If your veins are considerably damaged, your legs will not have enough blood flow. This will cause symptoms such as heaviness or aching. This is concerning, and you must see a doctor if you experience this alongside the appearance of spider and varicose veins.
- Your leg fatigue is worsening: If your legs feel more and more tired for no obvious reason as time passes, it could mean that the damage to your veins is getting worse. To prevent further damage and reverse the damage in your veins, you will need to consult a vein specialist.
- Your feet and ankles are swelling: This is a sign that blood is getting accumulated around your feet and ankles. This could be because of damage in your veins, and you need to see a doctor if you notice this happening frequently alongside spider and varicose veins.
- The spider and varicose veins are itchy and irritated: When spider and varicose veins appear as a normal part of aging, they are painless. You may not even notice them as you go about your day-to-day life. But if the spider and varicose veins are itchy and irritated and if you notice that the skin over the affected veins is dry, thin, and itchy, you need to take action now and meet with a vein doctor.
- You are overweight, or clinically obese: Excess weight can make it difficult for veins on your legs to carry blood to your heart and cause damage to the valves in the veins. If you are overweight and notice spider and varicose veins, it may be time to consult a doctor.
- Your family has a history of Chronic Vascular Insufficiency: Chronic Venous Insufficiency is a serious condition that prevents enough blood from flowing back to the heart. It can lead to blood clots and ulcers if not taken care of early enough. If you have close family members who suffer from Chronic Vascular Insufficiency, chances are that the appearance of spider and vascular veins on you is also a symptom of the disease.
- You are tired of the unsightly varicose veins and just want to have them removed: Even if none of the above applies to you, you may simply not like the sight of the spider and varicose veins. You may just want to get rid of them so you can live in your skin with confidence and ease. Several vein treatment procedures are available to remove spider and varicose veins with ease. Consult a vein doctor today to find out more.
If you decide to choose the Vein Clinic for your treatment, you will be treated by a team of highly experienced vein doctors who are at the top of their fields. All our doctors have been trained at Ivy League universities and are double board-certified. Our clinic offers cutting-edge, state-of-the-art technology and world-class medical infrastructure for your treatment and care. Our vein specialists know to keep patients’ comfort ahead and treat them with friendliness, patience, and kindness.
Our vein clinic in San Diego is currently located near the Torrey Pine beach state park, close to the Westfield UTC Shopping Center. In San Jose, our vein clinic is located in a beautiful neighborhood near Palo Alto, Sunnydale, and Santa Clara. It is down the block from the Santa Clara Medical Center and the Santana Row Shopping Mall. Our vein doctors can offer the best care possible to help you.